PSV leave it late to salvage a point against FC Utrecht

PSV leave it late to salvage a point against FC Utrecht

PSV extended their lead at the top of the Eredivisie to six points with a 2-2 draw at FC Utrecht. Mark van Bommel's were two goals down at half time, but staged a brave fightback in the second half. Captain Luuk de Jong struck twice to salvage a point in a thrilling and entertaining game at Stadion Galgenwaard.

FC Utrecht take a 2-0 lead in the first half
The rain came pouring down in Stadion Galgewaard when FC Utrecht and PSV got the game under way. Hirving Lozano and Steven Bergwijn had recovered from their injuries and were fit to start. The hosts took an early lead on seven minutes, with Sander van der Streek rising high to head home from a corner: 1-0. Lozano had a great opportunity to level the score two minutes later, but the Mexican headed wide at the far post. Stunned by the goal, PSV struggled to create clear chances, while FC Utrecht felt confident and defended their lead well, staying compact and organised. PSV only threatened from set pieces and Pablo Rosario sent a header wide from a free kick on 24 minutes.  FC Utrecht goalkeeper David Jensen made a reflex save to deny Gastón Pereiro who directed a powerful header towards the net. Referee Pol van Boekel waved away a penalty appeal when Luuk de Jong was held by Timo Letschert in the area. FC Utrecht looked to strike on the counter and doubled their lead on 39 minutes. Hirving Lozano was brought down in midfield. No free kick was given, though, and Gyrano Kerk, showing great pace, slotted home the second goal of the match: 2-0.

Luuk de Jong strikes twiceto salvage a point
Mark van Bommel's team attempted to fight themselves back into the game after the break. Denzel Dumfries slid the ball wide at the far post two minutes after the restart. Luuk de Jong pulled one back in the 57th minute. Steven Bergwijn delivered the cross and PSV's leading goal scorer gave his team fresh hope: 2-1. PSV surged forward in numbers and came close to level the score when Gaston Pereiro curled a free kick agonisingly wide of the post on 66 minutes. Van Bommel made two changes, bringing on Cody Gakpo for Hirving Lozano and Mohammed Ihattaren for Gaston Pereiro to bolster the PSV attack. David Jensen pulled off a great save to deny Steven Bergwijn with fifteen minutes remaining. PSV went in search of an equaliser as the away end made themselves heard at Stadion Galgenwaard. The ball bounced around the FC Utrecht box, but with the clock ticking down, the home side hoped to somehow survive. Yet PSV restored parity in the 87th minute. Denzel Dumfries provided the low cross from the right and Luuk de Jong was in the right place, taking his goalscoring tally for the season to twenty: 2-2. PSV were lucky to salvage a point in the end as Van Boekel did not point to the spot after Denzel Dumfries had brought down Simon Gustafson in the hectic closing stages.