PSV held to a 1-1 draw by FC Emmen

PSV held to a 1-1 draw by FC Emmen

PSV’s poor run continued as they dropped two points in a 1-1 draw at FC Emmen on Sunday night. Schwaab’s opening goal on 15 minutes was cancelled out by Marko Kolar‘s 52nd-minute strike.

PSV take the lead through Schwaab
The first chance of the game, played in cold conditions, fell to the hosts, but Kolar’s powerful shot was well saved by Lars Unnerstall.  At the other end , Denzel Dumfries sent over a low cross but no forward was on hand to connect. PSV took the lead on fifteen minutes through Daniel Schwaab, who was recalled to the starting XI. The German centre back tapped the ball home from a corner: 0-1. It looked to be a short-lived lead as Glenn Bijl struck a wonder goal four minutes later, unleashing a long-range effort from the middle of the pitch over Unnerstall into the goal. However, VAR intervened as Steven Bergwijn had been fouled by Bijl in the build-up.  After PSV had survived this scare , Bergwijn came close to doubling the lead when he forced FC Emmen keeper Dennis Telgenkamp into an excellent save in a wide-open game with plenty of end-to-end stuff. PSV had three very good chances in the closing stages of the first half. Ritsu Doan had the goal at his mercy in the 41st minute, but Lorenzo Burnet made a clearance. Ihattaren skewed wide at the back post, while Bergwijn also missed the target. HT: 0-1.

Kolar nets equaliser
PSV were made to rue the missed chances when a determined FC Emmen got back on level terms seven minutes into the second half, capitalising on sloppy defending, with Marko Kolar slotting home Glenn Bijl’s cross. PSV were struggling and Bijl had a shot blocked before Michael de Leeuw fired over the bar on the turn.  Cody Gakpo came off the bench to replace Doan on 67 minutes as PSV went in search of a winning goal. Glenn Bijl was booked for a vicious challenge on Donyell Malen and VAR asked referee Dennis Higler to have another look. Higler was not impressed and Steven Bergwijn also went in the referee’s note book for verbal abuse. Gakpo was denied by Tegenkamp. Rosario made way for the Greek striker Kostas Mitroglou with eight minutes remaining, who had a chance to score the winner but saw his effort go the wrong side of the post.  The substitute headed home in the dying seconds but had his goal disallowed for offside.

PSV will be back in league action on Saturday 7 December, when they host Fortuna Sittard.